Skylar
McAnelly
Mrs.
Rodgers
English
1A
09
Sept. 2012
A DAY ON THE HILL
It was just a routine Afghanistan day, one
hundred and twenty degrees, clear skies, sun beating down and tons of gear on
us, patrolling back to our patrol base after being out on the OP (observation
post) for a week straight. I was a team leader for my squad of thirteen young
infantry marines most of whom were just on their first combat deployment with
the average age of twenty years old. This just happened to be my second tour
and as a twenty-two year old corporal I had a lot of responsibility on my shoulders
from making sure my men were ready for anything, taking care of them in any way
possible, planning routes and making split seconds decisions that could end in
death or life depending on which way I went. I wasn't alone in this
responsibility, I had one of my best
friends, Cpl Ryan Deacy, also on his second tour with me helping out in any way
he could and I knew I could trust him with my life and the lives of my team if
I went down and that was a big relief
off my mind.
Our OP over looked a big valley of opium
fields and small villages were the local Afghan populace lived and farmed. Our
view also over watched a large thick tree line that was so dense it reminded us of all the movies we've seen
on jungle fighting in Vietnam, you could barely see ten feet in front of you
underneath its dark canopy. Every time we patrolled in or around the tree line
we always came under heavy enemy fire and IED's (improvised explosive devices)
to the point where you couldn't move and had to sit tight and fire back till
close air support could arrive and blow the enemy back with 500lb bombs that
would make your body feel it just got hit by a car when they went off. The sole
purpose of this OP was to observe and report in on enemy movements in the tree
line so the command would have a better understanding of the enemy making it
easier for us to close with and destroy the enemy which, as a marine
infantryman, is what we train and live for from the day we graduate boot camp
to our last training operation back stateside and we learned that if we better
understand the enemy the more effective we become as war fighters.
Because of the rotation plan of one
week on and two weeks off the OP, my team, 81's-3, was being relieved by one of
our sister squads, 81's-1, which was a
blessing towards the end of our stay on the OP. The daily grind of sleep when
you can and standing watch for hours on end makes life somewhat miserable. Our
basic rotation on watch was six hours on twelve hours off for seven days
straight and when you were not on watch there was plenty of things to do from improvement
of the defenses, weapons maintenance, switching our warm water bottles from the
heat to wet socks which cooled down the water to make it bearable to drink and
any kind of rest and food that one could get in before the next watch. Between
the regular day to day activities and the periodic harassment fire from enemy
snipers there was not too much down time.
When it came time to pack up and head
down from the OP everything you brought up had to come down with us which leads
to extra weight and if one has spent any time in the field they know that
ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain which always sucks. 81's-1 walked
into the OP and we began our turnover of the watch posts and all the details
that we observed during our week long stay. Before we left to head down to our
patrol base my inspection of my team and their gear had to be done. Sgt Kelley,
my squad leader, and myself began checking the marines body armor, weapons, and
packs for our mile and a half walk back in ankle deep sand back to base. After
saying a quick goodbye to our brothers who relieved us we began our trip down.
My team was first out the gate putting my mine sweeper, Lcpl Draper first to
check for IED's as we walked followed by Cpl Deacy, myself, my SAW (squad
automatic weapon, aka a man portable machine gun) gunner Lcpl Nasa and the rest
of the squad followed in single file keeping a equal distance of fifty meters
between us to mitigate casualties if a IED was struck. As we walked everyone
was in high spirits going back to base was amazing since we had cots, cold
water and warm food waiting for us. It was hard not to become complacent as we
walked towards base. Just as soon as I turned to tell my marines," Keep a
sharp eye out we all know compliancy kills", the first crack of a round
going right by my head was heard. the entire squad dropped yelling,
"CONTACT LEFT!" then all of a sudden as I looked up towards Sgt
Kelley the entire tree line erupted with very accurate and very intense machine
gun and sniper fire that pinned my entire team down on a bare sand hill that
offered no cover except for the sand that you could push up in front of you. As
I looked down towards my front two marines CPL Deacy and Lcpl Draper I could
see rounds impacting all around the two marines as they tried to low crawl to
better positions that would offer some even if very minimal protection from the
incoming enemy fire. When I looked back towards my SAW gunner Lcpl Nasa a round
hit right next to my face blinding me with sand and dust momentarily. I gave
the order to fire back at the tree line about Eight hundred meters where the
fire was coming from. Lcpl Nasa began by opening up with a long accurate burst
from his SAW as I yelled down to Cpl Deacy to get himself and Lcpl Draper back
up to the OP which was a good two hundred meter run uphill in deep sand. I knew
we had suppressing fire for the squad because the OP had opened fire with the
heavy fifty caliber machine guns and the lull in the enemy fire would give us
time to run up to the cover of the OP. As Deacy and Draper ran passed me Nasa
and myself peeled off right behind them. As we ran uphill I heard the fifty
cal. machine guns go down with malfunctions, the oh shit factor kicked right
back in as the enemy fire picked up once again and we saw rounds impacting all
around us as we sprinted up. With bullets zipping and popping all around us we
finally made it to the OP and as quick as the shooting began it stopped as soon
as the last marine was inside the OP.
After we made it in the OP I began
checking my guys making sure no one had been left down the hill and no one was
hit. After the thumbs up that everyone was good we began to make a plan to go
back down the hill. We worked together to fix the fifty cals. and tried to
get air support on station to cover us
in case we came under fire again. Sgt Kelley informed me that the OP's guns
were back in action but air support had been denied for our movement back to
base.
I began to argue that without air support it was stupid to move back down the same route that we just took. After arguing for five minutes and a few choice words I was told to, "shut up and get moving", I went to my guys and told them what we were about to do they all looked at me with disbelief I told them, "Even though this is Sgt. Kelley's first tour he is the boss and we have to listen", everyone was pissed about the decision but eventually followed the orders and we began to move out down the hill yet again expecting another firefight as we moved down.
I began to argue that without air support it was stupid to move back down the same route that we just took. After arguing for five minutes and a few choice words I was told to, "shut up and get moving", I went to my guys and told them what we were about to do they all looked at me with disbelief I told them, "Even though this is Sgt. Kelley's first tour he is the boss and we have to listen", everyone was pissed about the decision but eventually followed the orders and we began to move out down the hill yet again expecting another firefight as we moved down.
As we moved out everything was calm
we slowly moved past our spent casings that we had just fired and nothing
happened. About fifty meters past the casings the whole tree line erupted
again, marines hit the ground scrambling for cover all I could hear was rounds
going over head and hitting around my prone body. The squad fired back with
everything we had trying to suppress the enemy in the tree line. Finally the
heavy machine guns opened up from the OP and this time they worked perfectly. We
once again began to peel off to make a run for the OP only this time every
marine in my team was running at a walking pace, everyone's legs were burning
still from the last run up the hill. As we slowly made our way back up it was a
miracle that no one got hit. The rounds were hitting our packs, at our feet and
flying by so close it seemed that you could feel the air move by as they
passed. At the top we made sure everyone had made it and checked
everyone's gear. Once up I made a bee
line towards Sgt Kelley fuming from what just happened and told him that I
would not let my team go back down again on foot without support. Sgt. Kelley
agreed thankfully and we made a call down to base for support, the answer we
got back put all the marines at ease, trucks were coming for us and we would
not have to make our way back down again by foot. When the trucks finally
arrived after three hours of waiting to our surprise news reporters jumped off
to film the site of the firefight. All my marines and myself were thinking
"you got to be kidding me right now". After a quick ten minute drive
we made it back without further incident.
Now when I think back on the events
of that day it seems almost humorous to me. It is one of those days I will
never forget and one that I can still replay in my memories. It is almost like
we came so close to being killed that day and didn't even get touched which in
one sense is almost a miracle but in another makes one fell like a total badass
to have that experience. The only down side to that day is we still had three
more months in that god forsaken shitty
place and a whole lot more to experience before we left.
No comments:
Post a Comment