The Accident
In the hot, sweaty, summer of 2006,
my brother, Yaseen, was eight years old and decided to go on a bike ride with
his friends. He was one of those typical young boys, who didn’t like to take
showers and was always a smelly little boy. Before he went on his bike ride, I
had asked him to take a shower because he smelled and he just brushed it off.
So, I just told him “Okay whatever be safe.” He responded saying “Okay Mana”,
and he walked out the door. Little did I know, that day changed my mind and
made me realize that life really could end in an instance.
My mother received a phone call from
the fire fighters that my brother had been hit by a car in the Food4Less
parking lot. My mother was hysterical and frantically drove to Food4Less and
saw the firefighter rip off my brothers shorts to check on his thigh. His thigh
was bruised, purple, and was vastly enormous. My mother went in the emergency
car with my brother and called my dad to inform him what had happened. When my
dad got home he literally told me “Get your mom and brothers shit, we are going
to the emergency room”. Of course, I had asked him why and he responded “Just
get some fucking clothes and be downstairs in two minutes”. So I did exactly
what he told me and he said we had to go to UC Medical Center. On the way there,
my dad drove 120 mph and had told me the news about my brother and broke down.
That was the first time I had ever seen my dad cry and it made me break down
even more. Not to mention, my dad is one of those manly men who don’t show
affection or express any emotions, nonetheless have a mental breakdown which
was rare.
As soon as we arrived to UCD Medical
Center we went to the reception of the emergency room and they told us that we
had to wait because the doctors were still checking him out and only one person
could see him while he was in the emergency room. We waited in the waiting room
for about an hour, which felt never ending. Every minute felt like an eternity
and I thought that they were never going to let me see him. During that hour, I
had time to think to myself and about a million things popped in my head. “Will
I ever get to see my brother?” “What would I do without him?” “He’s too young
to be going through this.” “Why him? I’d rather have it be me so he wouldn’t
have to go through this?” “Maaaaan, why was I so mean to my brother?”
Then, I saw my mom come out she said
that they are doing x-rays on his thighs and that he was all drugged out. My
mom had also told me that my brother was constantly asking where I was at, and
that he wanted to see me which brought a smile to my face with a few tears alongside.
When I finally got to see my brother and saw pain and sadness in his eyes. I
figured I could put a smile on his face so I asked him if he had taken a
shower, he giggled and said no, jokingly I said he should have listened to me
and from now on he should listen to me.
The doctor
came out and told us that he had fractured his right femur and he would need
surgery, the doctor said that he would go in surgery the day after and for the
rest of the , day they would just provide him with pain medication until the
surgery. Truthfully, I was scared for my life when I knew that he was going to
get surgery. Although there are rare cases when someone doesn’t make it, I was
frightened just knowing that there is a possibility. That night, my mom stayed
the night at the hospital, so my dad and I left home.
The following day we were there right
before his surgery. The surgeon said that he would need a plate with some
screws to replace his right femur so it would grow normally. The surgery lasted
about a few hours which also felt like an eternity. The surgeon came out and
told us everything was successful and he is just drugged out on pain meds. He
stayed at the hospital for a few weeks, so he could receive therapy for his
thigh so he could get used to walking and get used to using crutches.
After this accident, I realized that
my brother had gone through so much in those weeks that he needed a lot of love
and attention that I had never really had given him. I realized that my brother
is my rock and I would do anything for him. Anything can happen within seconds
and during those moments it gave me time to recollect myself and realize how
you can lose anyone or anything within an instance. To this day, I still spoil
my brother and I bought him a concert ticket of one of his favorite rappers,
and he doesn’t know yet. I am so appreciative of my brother and family and
value our time together preciously. My brother is now fifteen, plays football
in high school and is one of the most strongest people I know. No little kid
should ever go through what he did and I have so much respect for him and what
he has been through.
No comments:
Post a Comment