Maribel Castro
English 1A
September 25, 2012
Professor Rogers
My Vacations
Many years ago, when I was about to turn
eighteen years old, my family and I decided to make a trip to the beautiful
city of Guanajuato in Mexico. The plan was to spend a good summer vacation while
we visited our relatives. At that time, my two little sisters Carina and Teresa
were about to turn fifteen years old. In our Mexican culture turning fifteen is
a big deal therefore, we have a tradition were we celebrate what is believed to
be the transition or step that a girl takes to become a woman. For example, it
is similar to when a girl here in America turns sixteen years old and has what
we call a “sweet sixteen" but instead we celebrate it a year earlier and
instead we call it a "Quinceanera". Knowing that my sister's
birthdays were approaching, my parents decided to celebrate their fifteenth
birthday party together. We wanted to take advantage of the trip and do as much
as we could to have a good time, so we decided to have the big party there.
When we planned our trip to Mexico we had in mind celebrating Christmas and New
Year there as well as to have the party in between those holidays. We were all excited
about our plans, especially because our tradition and the celebration we have
when a girl turns fifteen and that as Latinos we share. My parents said that
this tradition is unique and very special in a young lady's life. It only
happens once in our life and we have to enjoy it to the fullest. Time went by
and the date was only getting closer. Finally, the day arrived; it was in
December of two thousand and eight when we flew to Mexico. The date for the fifteen
birthday party celebration was finally here and we were working hard to make
sure that everything came out perfect. However, nobody expected what would have
happened and how everything would end up in the party.
On December of
two-thousand and eight, my two younger sisters were ready for one of the most
important days of their lives. It was the day when my family and I decided to
have a really big fifteenth birthday party for my sisters in the beautiful town
called San Juan de la Puerta in the city of Guanajuato, Mexico. We worked hard
to make this celebration possible. We were expecting the best from this memorable
day for my sisters and family. Having in mind that a fifteen celebration is
like I mentioned earlier, an old Latino ritual that represents the change of a
girl into becoming a lady. It was something that made my parents proud of their
daughters. Furthermore, this celebration, in the Latino culture expresses the
maturity and the beginning of a new stage of the girl‘s lives. On the other
hand, I was sad to see that my sisters were not those little girls that I used
to play with anymore. They were about to become two beautiful ladies and once
again the proud of my family. My sisters and I are the only children therefore,
my dad very protective of us. During this celebration not only my sisters took
a step but I felt like I did as well. I felt that I was becoming like my dad in
the way that I cared about my sisters’ futures and the relationships that they
will be engaged in later in their lives. A couple of days before the celebration,
I was supervising, helping and making sure that everything was ready for the
"big day". We celebrated Christmas and two days later we were ready
for the big day. The date was already here, and we couldn’t have been more
ready and excited.
I remember that
day I woke up early in the morning; I was feeling great and I was in a very good
mood. I was aware that it was going to be an unforgettable day not only for my
sisters but for all my family and friends as well. I remember going to the
reservation hall to check if they needed any last minute help with the
decoration. At that moment, I was really surprised to see all the people that
were there helping out with the celebration arrangements. I was busy all morning
blowing up balloons, setting up tables and chairs. Similarly, my dad was
setting up the mariachi, which is the band/music that cannot be missed in a
"Quinceanera" celebration. The mariachi is a very traditional Mexican
folk music, made up by a small group of musicians, dressed in elegant and
peculiar costumes, which shows the essence of Mexico and its people. It is
something cultural, spiritual and traditional for every Latino, and also an
experience not to be missed for special moments like a "Quinceanera" All
the arrangements were done and ready when I left home to get ready for the
mass. At that moment I remember seeing my sisters crying because their hair
stylist was running late. They were nervous and exciting at the same time. I
tried to help them out while the stylist came. An hour later the stylist finally
arrived and my sisters were running late already. We were obviously really
short on time and my mother and I were not ready for the ceremony. Time passed,
and everybody was ready, when I saw my sisters with their beautiful dresses and
make-up on, I felt very special to have such a beautiful family. They looked
like princesses, the most beautiful princesses out there in the world. I was
surprised to finally see how they were not those little girls that I used to play
with when we were kids. They were now two beautiful and intelligent ladies that
were about to start a new stage of their lives. In addition, I felt very happy
because the most important part was finally done. We all were dress up and
ready for the ceremony. I still can remember the mariachi playing, my family and
friends singing behind us when we were walking towards the church's altar. During
the ceremony my sisters received the blessing of God and I was very proud of
that. At the end of the ceremony, we were doing the typical in a party, taking
pictures with relatives, friends and family.
After the ceremony, everyone was starving and
ready to eat from delicious banquet that was waiting for our guests at the reception
were the party was going to be held on. It was fascinating to see the entire
group of people talking, laughing and enjoying the party, especially to see my
sisters being part of it. After the banquet, the dance started and the first
show was the Quinceanera Val with their chamberlains. Chamberlains are the Quinceanera’s
male friends who escort my sisters to dance during the Vals. They have to be
formally dressed up and be with the Quinceanera all day. The chamberlains also
looked fantastic and they made the Vals a success and the best of the party.
During the Vals my sisters received the crown and I was the chosen one to do
it. When I was walking in the middle of the track, I felt very proud to be the
oldest sister and wanted it to cry of happiness, but I resisted and I kept walking
until I put the crown on their heads. They looked very pretty and we all
continued with the party. However, at
the end of the party nobody imagined what would end up happening. When the Vals
ended, my sisters and everyone started dancing with the band. I was dancing and
playing around with my cousins. Suddenly, I saw my dad and people running and
screaming. At that moment, a lot of things went through my head; my legs
started shaking and my blood froze. I started running behind my dad to find out
what was happening. It was my uncle Jaime, my mom’s little brother. Someone had
shot him with a gun; he was bathed in blood and totally unconscious. My other
uncle Carlos immediately took him to the hospital. My grandmother was almost about
to faint, and no one could believe what was happening. I was not sure of what
exactly was going on. Everything seemed as if i was in a nightmare. I felt
horrible when I saw my sisters crying and they couldn't believe what was
happening either. The music stoped and the party was cancelled, it was over. Some
people left while others ignored and were unaware of what had just happened. I
couldn't believe how a very special moment like my sister’s
"Quinceaneras" could have ended just like that. No one in my family was involved in any
problems and I was sure that most of the people that were in the celebration were
close family meaning that they weren't involved either.
That night turn into one of the worst days of
my life. The whole family got reunited
in my grandparent’s house; no one could sleep that night because we were waiting
for news of my uncles Jaime's health. We all were praying and hoping for
everything to be okay. My sisters were confused and at the same time they felt
sad, I told them that the best part was that we all were okay and that no one
else got hurt. The next day we finally got the good news, my uncle was no longer
in danger and he was going to be okay. We all went to the hospital. I remember
he apologized to the family because he had ruined the party. Everybody laugh
about it, and my sisters told him that the most important thing was that he was
alive. They understood that the party was not the most important event in their
lives. We all understood that my uncle’s health was way more important than a birthday
party. I was totally confused, trying to fool myself into imagening that
everything that happened was just a bad dream, but everything was real with a
not so happy ending. It was understood that my parents and I were sad because
the "Quinceanera" party was not what we had expected. However, we all
were pleased with the outcome of the party. Knowing that my family was healthy was
a much better and happier celebration.
No comments:
Post a Comment