Yasmin Garcia
English 1A
09/25/12
Essay #1
Wrong Wedding
I was sixteen when I was married and yes I mean I was married, not by choice. Everything was great growing up I was the second oldest child of eight wild kids. I worked hard around the house took care of my brothers and sisters and I went to school. I was a straight A student never missed a day always did my homework even with all the chores and responsibilities I had at home. When financial problems came into our home it was life changing for me.
I was never a big dater I always kept away from that because I always said I would finish school before thinking about love and boys those kinds of things and my father would kill me if he saw me with a boy at my age. It was the summer before high school and I could not wait for it to began I was going to be a freshmen. My father in the other hand was not so excited for me to go to high school he said that maybe I should get home schooled so I could help out around the house more and that it wasn’t that interesting anyways he said I would get the same experience at home. My brother and mother finally convinced him to let me go under the condition that I would keep up my good grades and I would come home straight after school not a minute late unless I had something extremely important to do because I had to finish all the chores around the house
The fist day of school came and I was up extra early in my best clothes looking the best for first day impressions. I walked into school and I see all these teenagers I did not recognize they were all complete strangers to me. I was taller than most freshmen and I was shaped different than all the other girls my age. I had curves, a butt, boobs and other things that the other girls my age did not have yet, I changed a lot faster than most of the girls in my class. All the boys looked at me in a different way like they couldn’t believe I was a freshman I was certain I was not going to fall for any of these senior boy tricks I was there only to learn and graduate nothing else especially not fall for no stupid boy. Only one new person talked to me all day Anthony a senior He didn’t seem like all the other boys because he didn’t stare like the others did, he was quite nice and very attractive. He was different and I liked that.
It was the second month of the school year and I was doing great in school I had made new friends I was getting good grades and I was doing everything I told my father I would do. I was happy to be in school I loved all my teachers my new friend and I especially loved hanging out with Anthony. Yes I admit I was feeling something for a senior boy but he wasn’t like all the other boys. We would sit together at lunch and talk about everything that came to mind at that time he always made me laugh and I just felt so comfortable with him. He was my partner in all my classes and we always did our homework together at school because my father could not find out I was talking to a boy he would kill me and him. Anthony always asked me if he could walk me home but of course I had to say no because if my dad saw me I would never go back to school and I would never get to graduate.
On December third I was all sad in the morning because Anthony did not come to school that day. During lunch I decided to go sit at the stairs were no one ever sat at, when I was on my way to the stairs this boy named James stopped me and told me that Anthony was waiting for me at our usual spot that he was looking for me. Right away my frown turned into a great big smile and I went running to our spot there Anthony sat by himself with his back to me as I called his name he turned around and had this beautiful yellow flower, it looked like he had hand made it and smelled like a room full of roses, it was beautiful the most beautiful flower I had ever seen. He held the rose out to me and said I’ve been waiting for you to tell you something. He hands me the rose and gives me a kiss on my cheek something he had never done, I turned bright red and as I looked away of embarrassment he asked me to be his girlfriend. In my heart I was yelling yes, yes, but then I thought about it and all I could picture was my dad choking him to death so rite then and there I told him, No! Then Yes! I didn’t know what to say. He then held me in his arms and said, “I know why your acting this way don’t worry about your dad we will deal with him later just say Yes.” Those words made me feel so much better so I said yes.
The days the weeks and then the months passed by and I was the happiest girl in the world everything was going great. I was doing great in school I was getting everything done at home and most important of all I had the best boyfriend in the world. My parents were always fighting because they didn’t know what to do about the financial problems, my mother wanted to work but my dad did not approve of that and he wanted me to finish my school. The days went by and our family problems became worse and worse we had absolutely nothing to eat some days and we were going to get evicted from our home because we could not make the payments.
My dad woke up one day really early and said he was leaving that when he came home that day all of our problems would get solved. He seemed so sure of this. I came home that day with some food that Anthony had gave me to give to my family, he told me that we should get married and that he would help my family out because he came from a wealthy family. I told him no that we were going to figure it out that everything would be fine. When I came home that day my father, mother and fathers boss were sitting in the living room, as I opened the door they became quiet. My father asked me to come into the room because he had something important to tell me, as I walked into the room my mom looked away with tears in her eyes she got up and marched out of the room. I wanted to ask her what was wrong but before I could I was interrupted by my father telling me to sit down. He looked at me with a sad face and tells me we have solved out family problems. I smile and say well that is great and how did this happen? He looks at me and then looks down and back at me and says well my boss here is willing to marry you in exchange for a big chunk of money to get this family up again. I stared at him in shock of what I had just herd; I got up out of my seat and said no, I will not marry this man I am in love with Anthony. As I try to walk out of the room my father grabs me by the arm and says well I’m sorry but you will be married tomorrow and that is final. I began to cry and beg him to tell me he was lying that this was all just a horrible dream and I would make up and everything would be back to normal. How I wished that was true. I then get up and run out the front door running and running until I am in front of Anthony’s house. Lucky enough I see him and he comes running out and says, “What are you doing here if your father finds out he is going to kill you.” I jump into his arms and cry and tell him everything that happened. He takes me into his house and sits me down trying to calm me down telling me that he will not let my father do such a thing.
I sit there staring at Anthony for an hour not knowing if this would be the last time I see him or if it would be the last time I held him in my arms. I told him I loved him for the last time and he said it back. I was not willing to loose the love of my life for anything in the world. That day I did something I would never forget I gave Anthony the most valuable thing I had something I could never get back. I had never felt the feeling I felt that day with him. I was the happiest women in the world for those last couple of hours I spent with him. My father then later found out were I was at and dragged me out of Anthony’s side only letting me yell to Anthony that I would always love him and I would come back to him one day.
The next morning which was a Saturday morning I was woken up bright and early by my mom. She came into my room with this white expensive dress you could see how silky and smooth it looked filled with beautiful pearls on the neck part she also brought a bag wit shoes and other wedding things. She comes in and tells me to get ready for my big day that she loved me and that she knew that I would have a good life with this man that I did not know. I did not say anything back and I changed and got ready for this day that I would never forget for the rest of my life. It was twelve o’clock I still remember and my dad grabbed my arm and says lets go you don’t want to keep your groom waiting do u? As I walked out of my room to our back yard I get a glimpse of what I am wearing I looked at myself and I felt disgusted by the feeling of marrying this man I did not know. I looked at my dad and told him please dad don’t do this and he tells me, “Everything will be fine your doing the rite thing for the family.” He takes me by the arm to the table were this man stands dressed in this expensive suite waiting for me. The man holds his hand out to me and says come here honey. I go to his side and the pastor begins the ceremony. As he begins to ask me if I take this man in marriage a tear falls down my face I look back at my dad and say yes I do. I feel like my life was over that I had no escape I was stuck with this man for the rest of my life. I was married to a complete stranger and I didn’t know what to do. As I get in the car with this man and we drive away into what seems to me the worst and longest drive of my life. We get off and see my new home for the rest of my life. I think back my dreams of graduating over, Anthony over; there was nothing left for me in this life. I had lost the love of my life and I could not do anything about it. I was Mrs. Davis and I was going to stay Mrs. Davis for the rest of my life.
You gave a very descriptive story, it is amazing to me that your father would have you marry some one that you do not know, does this have anything to do with your culture? Also, I see that your last name is no longer Davis, does this mean that you are no longer married to him. I really enjoyed reading your story.
ReplyDeleteThankyou!
I loved the description in your story. It definitely sounded like it was culture-related, which many people can identify with. It was a very touching story, that people, even to this day, can relate to. I am not sure if this is fiction or not, but you could even do a second part to the story! Writing about something that happens in every day life makes it easier for the reader to connect. Way to go!
ReplyDeleteThis is a very sad story! To have to marry a man you don't even know and to not be able to graduate AND to lose the love of your life! I kept waiting for a happy ending but saw nothing. At sixteen so young and to be married only because of your father?? But hopefully this Anthony waited for you to turn eighteen (Two years) so that you could divorce this stranger and marry the love of your life. If it DID happen then your story would be a great movie! Now, being in college and knowing how to detect errors thanks to the teachings of professor Rogers and professor Porter, I spotted some errors. Rite is spelled r I g h t. And wit is spelled w i t h. I loved how this guy Anthony treated you. As a Mexican man myself, I have a daughter but does not live with me. She is 27 and has never been married. I love my daughter more than anything in this world and so as a father I would want my daughter's husband to treat her as I would treat her.
ReplyDelete