Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Math Class


Dahlia Romero
English 1A
2/18/2013
Math Class
            There are times when we all have to say to ourselves “why I am here, this seems pointless.” I felt like this in my high school math class. It felt like it was because I didn’t learn a dam thing at all from the teacher. This teacher I thought to myself, “man he is too old to be teaching math anymore so why doesn’t he just retire already.” I even sometimes wondered to myself whether or not I should take his class seriously; because of how ridiculous it was. Some of the other students in my class were very misbehaved and it was like he just didn’t care. All the attitudes and disruptions that these students have caused really didn’t cause him any trouble and so he just went on with his “teaching.” No one ever took him serious. I just sat there in class bored doing nothing and I tried my best not to look confused.  I have no idea how I passed the class, because almost every word that I heard come out of his mouth sounded like “blah blah blah”.  So I just had to bear with it for the semester.
I still remember almost everything that happened in that class which was crazy; because normally most people would just forget about the boring, meaningless and irritating things that happened in high school. But any who, I can still remember the most hilarious day in that class. One day there were these four guys that would always mess around and act stupid. I assumed they loved to give the teacher a hard time. They would do the most random shit in class ever. They would throw shit around everywhere or get into the teachers stuff. All the teacher would do is laugh and smile thinking it was funny. I had no idea what was going through that old man’s head when these boys were doing all this stupid shit. At times it seemed they were trying to make our class seem like a whirl wind of jokes. Knowing me I would obviously think that these boys would get on his nerves, but I guess not. I found it amusing that this class was awful to the teacher and he just didn’t pay it any attention.
From time to time the teacher would say funny shit that you know in modern times you just wouldn’t say. This showed he was very ancient when he spoke that way. The teacher once said, “Keep your cotton picking hands off my stuff.” I would always laugh when I would hear him say that and I could always picture an old gramps saying that. Ironically my teacher indeed looked like an old grandpa anyway so it fit well. He said this to a boy in class because he grabbed his sombrero from under his desk and put it on while being obnoxious running around the room.  This student was annoying as hell to me and he made himself look like a jackass. Now that was funny at the time but that is until you really think about how stupid it was. I felt that this student was so stupid that he had the balls to say that the teacher was “racist” because he said that to him. Oh how that line sounded so dumb coming out of his mouth. It made him look ignorant and all I could do is think “wow” and laugh at his stupidity.
Many stupid things happened in that math class but to set things aside I had just tried to make the best of the class. I had just sat there patiently in the middle-section of the last row on the right hand side of class waiting to hear what the teacher planned to assign us. I know I wasn’t the best student but it would seem that I was, compared to some of the other dipshits in class. I was one of the quiet ones who tried to not make any disturbance. I was the one who didn’t want to be bothered by anyone or anything; so I just did what I was supposed to do. As he assigned some work I tried to understand him but it was sort of difficult to follow up with him because he would jump here and there with little explanation of the material. I got so frustrated with this way of teaching. Because if you’re going to teach something makes sure that the students will understand it and be able to do it. It seemed like everything was “ching chang chong wooh” umm… just a whole bunch of bullshit that I didn’t understand. “What are you talking about” had ran through my mind. As I sat there with confusion and irritation over the whole situation it felt like I was wasting time. I didn’t enjoy this class much at all. To make matters worse, the whole classroom smelt bad; I had no idea why. Overall, it was like a nightmare where you were looking for the needle to stick yourself, so you could wake up.
In contempt of all the negatives I suppose there were some positives that came out of the class. They weren’t academically but they were socially. One thing the teacher allowed us to do was have a little party at the end of the semesters before finals. I thought this was alright and I admit it beats sitting around doing nothing and at least we weren’t bored doing that. We all brought different foods and drinks. I brought chips, someone else brought Sierra Mist and another student brought pizza. The pizza was good yet it tasted and felt a little greasy but I suppose that was okay since no one complained. The only thing I didn’t think was good was the popcorn that the teacher made, it ended up smelling like rotten cheese or something else that I don’t even want to think about. Don’t ask me how he screwed it up, but all I know is that it was disgusting! And if it smells like shit, chances are it may taste like shit. Other than that, the rest of the foods and drinks were pretty good; we all had a good time socializing with each other. I felt that this was the only time I really enjoyed being in that dreadful class.
Despite all the annoyance, irritation, confusion and boredom I was happy to say the time spent in that class is just a memory now. Even though I didn’t learn shit and those students being the assholes that they were, I am happy to say that I got through that excuse of what was “Math Class.”

No comments:

Post a Comment