Friday, March 1, 2013

The Change of Life


Dylan Morgan
02/12/2013
English 1A
The Change of Life
            When it was getting closer to graduation time I realized I need to start thinking of what I am going to do after high school. My mom pushing me to figure it out immediately but telling me had to be college had to be the focus no matter what. Graduation came around and my girlfriend Karlee and I realized that we needed to move out and do college on our own but together. Immediately my dad that I haven’t lived in the same house with for almost five years, but do talk to regularly said “why don’t you guys move in with me, I need the help with cash and I will treat you two just like roommates”. Taking it into consideration and after talking about it for a couple of days we realized this will be the best option, it’s like were on our own, but we will have somebody there to keep us in line and focused and the cost won’t be too bad.  Moving day came around, so I packed up all my things at my mom’s house picked up my girlfriend and headed to Roseville where my dad stayed in his two bedroom apartment.
            After about two months into living with my dad, my girlfriend Karlee and I, started our college life at Sierra College in Rocklin, everything seemed to be going right or as good as it could be being broke college students. I started to run out of my scholarship money and realized I needed a job and Karlee agreed that we both do. Karlee and I, both were hired at Starbucks right next to our school. Shortly after we started the job is when things seemed to be going downhill and quickly at that. Every day I came home from work or school I walked in to a house that smelt like marijuana and cigarettes. I knew my dad smoked weed and cigarettes but for the most part he did it outside so that I wouldn’t be overwhelmed with the smell and so that Karlee wouldn’t want to leave because she couldn’t breathe in the apartment. I talked with him every now and then about not doing it in the apartment and he did stop for a couple days and then went back to the same routine shortly after. I realized I might not have any say in this, because we’re not doing father son story any more were doing roommate story and how that goes is both people have equal say as long as rent is split in an equal way.
            Months go by in this same routine; wake up at five in the morning go to work, go to school after work and come home to a house that is dark and full of smoke. Karlee and I didn’t have enough hours at work because we were going to school which meant we couldn’t pay as much for rent. This is when me and my dad’s relationship took a dive in the deep end and really took on the role as just roommates. Money does truly make some average situations ugly. Well life goes on as it did and soon I realized that my dad has become something that I’ve never seen, or thought that could become out of someone you knew so well your own father. He never left his room and at all times of the day there was always a large cloud of smoke swallowing the two bedroom apartment. Anytime that my dad did step out his room for food or to catch some air he would be strung out on drugs and stumbling to wherever he was trying to get. Besides the weed and cigarettes, I knew my dad was on painkillers and had been for about 20 years for back pain but I didn’t realize the extent of the medication he was taking and what is was doing to him.
            A couple weeks pass and my dad still isn’t making any changes or progress, actually he’s getting worst. We started to realize that he went from bad to worse, every time my dad ate any kind of food he would regurgitate it right away, but he didn’t want to think anything of it being the stubborn male that he is, and kept refusing to go get it checked out by a doctor. The vomiting after his meals does not stop after some time has passed he looked as if he dropped about 50 lbs. and completely pale. I force my dad to go to the doctor just to make sure everything is alright even though I knew otherwise. The next day I get home from school and he’s sitting there on the couch with a sort of smirk on his face, I knew something was wrong because there was no smell of the weed or tobacco in the apartment. My dad made me sit down to tell me the doctors see a mass in his esophagus and believe it is cancer related, which created his esophagus to close up, which explained the throwing up after meals, the food had nowhere to go but back up. My dad was still in a phase of shock and high on painkillers so I don’t think it hit him as much as it did to me. The news of anyone close to you having cancer is one of the worst things you can hear it shocking, it’s scary, and the one thought that I couldn’t get out of my mind was that I am going to lose my father.
 More tests were taken on my dad and the doctors concluded that he without a doubt had esophageal cancer and on top of that from vomiting after everything he ate, he was completely malnourished. Not wasting anytime they wanted to go into surgery right away to prevent it from spreading. The doctors were going to need to completely take out his esophagus and create a new one from scratch. This was a very different kind of surgery and the doctor that was going to replace his esophagus had only done this operation once before, but was sure my dad could recover from it and work well with the makeshift esophagus.
The surgery went well and my dad was recovering slowly but surely. The doctors knew he was on strong painkillers for the past 20 years of life and knew that the next couple of days of recovering from the surgery are going to be very hard and painful for my dad, not just from the surgery but from the withdrawals that he is going to face from the drugs he has been on.  Recovery showed to be very difficult for him and he always seemed in pain but the doctors did not want to give him any of the heavy medication he was on before so he had to deal with the light pain medication. After about a week and a half my dad was released from the hospital because he was healed as much as he needed to be from the surgery. I’ll never forget my grandma and grandpa coming in to the apartment where me, my dad, and my girlfriend lived and said, “we need your help”, so I followed them directly to my dad’s room and opened his medicine cabinets, they took every prescription medication from it and threw them all in a bag and said he will never see these again. I thought it was the best thing they have ever done for him.
            After all this mess and with my dad fully recovered, Karlee and I realize it’s time to move back in with our own parents because this way of living was not the way it should be and even though this made my dad change some of his ways we need a fresh start ourselves. I called my dad into the room to tell him and he agreed one hundred percent, he said it was time for him to actually live his life and make up for the lost time. Some time passes and me and my dad are talking regularly and my dad tells me he is planning on moving to Redding immediately, besides family he said there was nothing else for him here.
As soon as his treatment for the cancer had ended my dad did move into a comfortable, relaxful cabin just a few miles past Redding, out in the woods and right on the lake. After settling down in the new house for a few months my dad went in for an annual biopsy to make sure the cancer hasn’t returned. The doctor told my dad the cancer has returned but it is contained in some tissue that was connected to the old esophagus and now the new one. The doctor told my dad that no doubt it will be containable and hopefully can make it go away for good with a little heavier treatment than he had before. 
            As of right now my dad is living out his life to the best of his ability. He has not touched a single drug since the day he went to the hospital for surgery. My dad still is getting chemo and recently lost all the hair on his whole body for the first time, but he isn’t taking it as a punishment or taking it out on God or anybody else, he’s taking this whole situation as a blessing in disguise like something that completely changed his life for the better and I couldn’t agree more. This is the one time I would ever say cancer actually saved my dad’s life. God truly does work in mysterious ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment