Monday, March 25, 2013

Waist of a Saturday Night


Dylan Morgan   
English 1A
03/12/2013        
Waist of a Saturday Night
                Over the weekend my friends and I decided we all wanted to go out and just have fun. A new hookah lounge has recently opened up near Consumes River College called Hookaholics. Hookaholics had another location near United Artist in Elk Grove, CA, and business was doing so well that they decided to open another one just a few miles away. My friends go out to hookah bars almost every weekend. I am normally not one to join because I do not see the point in paying to smoke flavored tobacco and also it always gives me a headache after. I decided this time it’s a new bar, new location, and I haven’t been to a hookah bar in a while, so why not? I did not like my experience at the new Hookaholics due to the prices of the hookah, and how jam packed the bar was.
We walk up to the new hookah lounge and stand in a line, there is only about ten people waiting to get in. As we reach the door a lady that is standing and holding their door open  checking I.Ds, tells us “I.Ds out and ten dollars for overhead”, this made no sense to me seeing as how no other hookah lounge charged this fee for overhead. I asked what that is for and the lady replied “the bar gets busy on weekends so we charge everyone ten dollars to get in”. After paying the ten dollars we walk through the door and go to the front to order which flavors we wanted, we ordered white peach, pineapple, and strawberry kiwi, also we ordered all of those flavors with ice tips which makes it feel cold when you inhale the smoke. After we ordered the guy working the cash register said it going to be fifty -four dollars. Fifty- Four is not cheap for hookah that lasts only about two hours at max. So the three of us split the 54 dollars and are led to a small booth of in the corner.        
                The hookah was actually tasting good and wasn’t giving me a headache, which usually happens after about ten minutes of smoking it. I did not want to give up the strawberry kiwi because it tasted so good. But then after about twenty minutes of smoking the flavored tobacco we realize we can’t even hear the music, and have to yell at each other to hear one another, because of how loud everybody is talking and how many people are in the lounge. I look around and realize the whole entire bar is full of people, every booth is full and people that couldn’t get a booth are sitting in the middle with little tables holding their hookah. Every group of friends is talking louder than the one next to them because they can’t hear each other, making it impossible for anyone to hear the music, and making it impossible for me and my friends to communicate without losing our voices. The only reason I ever decide to go to hookah with my friends is to hang out with them, and listen to the music playing. Both of those were not happening, making it not fun, just sitting there and smoking the hookah. After about an hour and a half the hookah started to get really harsh and the noise kept getting louder and louder, so we decided it was time to it a night and go home.
                When you go into something with a negative mindset of it you are most likely going to hate it and keep that mindset, but sometimes you will change that mindset around and be glad that you tried it again and turn out to love it. Well that was definitely not me; I kept the negative connotation I had towards hookah. This experience actually made me dislike hookah even more, even though the hookah tasted good or at least the strawberry kiwi flavor did, this experience still made me not want to go back to a hookah bar. Even if that was my first time going to a hookah bar, I would have realized between the price for everything and how crowded it was, it is not worth it to go out and smoke hookah, go buy a hookah and invite some friends over to your house it would be a lot more fun than going to a loud crowded hookah bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment