This is the blog of English 1A Spring 2013 students at Woodland Community College in Woodland, CA.
Thursday, February 28, 2013
Freshman Bad Decisions
Lizbeth Islas
Mrs. Rogers
Eng 1A
February 19, 2013
Essay #1
Freshman Bad Decisions
Early hot morning and my brothers are ready to go back to school, except me. Every senior is ready to be done with their last year of high school. In this case, I was a freshman so I was not happy at all to go back to school. The only good thing was that two of my friends were seniors and I could at least have someone to help me locate my classes. However, senior friends can also be a bad influence and make you take the worst decisions on the first day of school.
My friends showed me the whole school and also where my classes were going to be held. Passing through the breezeway, you realize that everyone stares at you. They look at what you are wearing, whether you have new shoes, new pants, and new t-shirt. The first day of school everything is about what other people are wearing and who looks different and who does not; it’s about physical appearance and not about school related activities.
My first morning classes were all about the same thing: school rules and policies. Also, some teachers talked about the materials we need on a specific class. Everything was boring and some information was new. However, teachers looked at us like fresh, newborn babies that they have to teach us every little, single word on the school rules. After the first class, every class seems longer and boring because teachers were repeating the same information. What teachers don’t realize is that freshman are scared and most of the time we forget what the teachers tell us.
After going to all my morning classes, I was exhausted and ready for a break. The good thing is that it was time for a lunch break. One of my senior friends offered us some food that she had at her house. My other friend and I agree to go with her because our house was at the other side of the school and my friend’s house was only about two blocks away.
When we got to her house, all her family members had left for work already so the house was empty. My friend offered us a drink, but I said no. However, my other friend accepted. The surprise for me was that the drink was not a soda or water, it was alcohol. I was totally shocked and didn’t know what to do. Both started drinking shots; one after the other. It was time to back to school and they were still drinking. I told them that I was going back to school and they decided that they were going back with me. I refused to back with them because they were all ready tipsy. Then, I told them that I would stay home with them and that we can ditch school. However, they wanted to go back because they didn’t want to miss the first day of class. So there we go back to the school, two senior drunks and a freshman not drunk. On our way back to school, my two drunken friends started to sing romantic songs and then the crying began. While walking on the street, there was many people walking with their dogs and they would just keep staring at us. The passing by other people was a really embarrassing moment. Anyways here we are again back in school.
The first thing we see while walking towards the main entrance of the school was the principal. I stood between my two friends so I could hold them. The principal asked us that why we were late so I told her that my friend had some stomach issues. She totally believed me because she looked at my friend and she was still kind of crying. Then she told us to go back to class as fast as we could. I went to take my two friends to their classes, and then I went to my class. For a minute I thought that everything was okay and that teachers were not going to caught us, but I was totally wrong. After being sitting down in class for about ten minutes, a cop and three senior students came to get me out of my class. While walking towards the classroom door, I could hear everyone whispering behind my back “Oh she’s in a huge trouble” or like “What did she do and why are they taking her”. The beginning of a bad decision was going to start some bad action.
While walking to the office the cop told me that my friend was throwing up in class and that she was feeling dizzy. My legs started shaking and they felt like if I was walking on a wood bridge. On that moment all Iwas thinking was how my dad was going to react to this situation. I started to see the trees yellowish color like if it was the beginning of autumn season. While walking to towards the office the hallway looked like a bridge without an end. Finally, we walk in to the principal’s office. When we enter the door my two friends were already there. I don’t know why but I felt a great relief. One of them was still sober, but the other one was super drunk. The officer got closer to the drunken one to ask her questions. He didn’t even finish the question when she threw up on his uniform. The principal ran and put a trash can right in front of her so she could throw up there. But it was too late; the officer was all dirty and smelly.
The officer was on fire. All I could see was his face getting red as a tomato. On that minute I realize that things were going to get worst. The officer when to his car to get the breathalyzer so check how much alcohol we had in our system. While he was gone, the principal got out the office to call our parents. In that moment my friend grabbed my hand and then she told me “Don’t worry everything is going to be ok”. I didn’t reply back; I was still in shock. My drunkest friend was starting to felt better after throwing up everything. For a minute we all stared at the floor and many things were crossing to our minds.
The cop and the principal return back to the office. The cop began testing my drunkest friend. I was so nervous that I didn’t pay attention of how much percentage of alcohol she had. Then, he tested my other friend. I was the last one to be tested. It was my first time blowing in to a breathalyzer. I didn’t had a clue on how to do it, besides I was really nervous so that made the things worst. After like the fourth time I got it right. Obviously my percent of alcohol was zero. When the officer told me that my score was zero, I felt that I was back to life. This happy feeling was gone when I saw my dad walking into the principal’s office. Behind my dad, my friend’s parents were following him.
My dad’s eyes were looking straight at me. I knew how my dad was feeling. He was really disappointed that he’s only little girl was drunk the first day of school. The officer explained to my dad that I wasn’t drinking and that I didn’t had alcohol in my system. However, the principal still suspended me for three days of school. My friends were suspended too, but they were for ten days. I knew that my dad was going to almost kill me. While walking towards my dad’s truck, I wanted to tell my dad that I was really sorry, but no words could come out of my mouth. We both remained silence in our way home. After arriving he just told me, “This will be the first and only time you will do this to me”. I just give him as apologizing look and walked to my bedroom. I learned m lesson and till this day I don’t think I’ll ever go and have a drink before class. Bad decisions would always have a bad effect.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment