Antonio
Ruiz
23 October 2012
Professor
Rogers
Essay
#2
Better
Than Any Other Sport
Soccer is one of the most hated sports in the Unites
States. Although so many people hate the
sport here in the United States in the rest of the world it is the most
commonly played sport and also the most famous sport in the world. It isn’t only fun to play it but it is also
fun to watch it. I’ve watch and played
soccer since I could remember and still to this day it is the best sport in the
world. Soccer might not be the biggest
sport in the United States but it will always be the biggest sport in the
world.
A lot of people that play and like other sports like
basketball, baseball, and football say that soccer is for pussies. They say you don’t need skills to play
it. What they don’t know is that it is
one of the toughest sports to play. It
is also a dangerous sport just because soccer players aren’t being tackled like
football players, soccer players don’t wear much equipment to protect
them. All they wear are shin guards. I would know because growing up I’ve also
played baseball, basketball, and football and soccer is still the hardest sport
to play. You have to be in very good
shape to be able to run up and down the soccer field for all ninety minutes of
the game. You also have to have good
ball handling, if you don’t know how to control the ball then there isn’t much
you could do in a soccer field.
I believe soccer is the best sport because it is the
hardest to play. It’s extremely hard to
score a goal it’s not like basketball or football that scoring is easier to do,
and when you score it counts for more than one point. In soccer you could be so close to score but
the goalie could block it and just like that you have to go back on the
defense. It’s also harder to come from
behind to win a game. For example in
basketball you could make a long distance shot and it would count for three
points, in soccer it doesn’t matter from where or how far away you score from
it will only count for one point. Also
soccer is harder because there could be a bad call by a referee but he coaches
can’t challenge the play like in football.
Whatever call the referee makes goes, the good thing about that is that
it makes the game that much more competitive.
You want to play your best that way the referee doesn't have the chance
to make a risky call.
People tell me that soccer is the most boring sport in
the world. They say this because in the
United States soccer is barely starting to grow unlike in other countries
soccer is the biggest sport watch and played.
Unlike baseball, football, and basketball soccer actually has the World
Cup every four years where all the countries in the world try to qualify to
play in it to see who the best team in the world is. It also has another tournament where the best
teams in every soccer league play to see which teams is called the best is the
world. Baseball has the World Series but
only teams from the United States play in it, basketball and football do the
same thing. The closest to getting to
soccer is basketball because of it being involved in the Olympics but the World
Cup is still considered to be a bigger event than the Olympics.
Not only is soccer the best sport to play but it is also
the best sport to watch. You could
either watch it on TV or watch it live.
Watching it in person has its advantages. Since soccer isn't so big in the United States
I haven’t been able to go to a lot of games.
The ones I have been too though have been incredible. The atmosphere at the games is crazy. For one the crowd gets crazy, and I mean
crazy in a good way. But if crazy isn’t
your thing you could go with your family and have fun. Or you could go with you friends get drunk
and enjoy yourself a good soccer game. Fans
at soccer games get so into it that even chants made during soccer games have
become very famous. These chants don’t
only get used during soccer games anymore but they are used during all
different types of sports events. Of
course I am talking about the famous wave.
I've been told by many people why do I play soccer, that
it’s a waste of time, that it is boring.
They say I should be playing a real sport like football but the people
that say this have never played a game of soccer to see how fun it is and also
how hard it is to play. Even my old high
school didn't like our soccer team even though we were the only sport that was
always winning games. I like to play
soccer because unlike other sports you don’t need a bunch of equipment to play
it. If you just want to play for fun
with your friends all you need is a ball.
You don’t need gloves or a bat like you would need in baseball, and you
definitely don’t need a basket like you would in basketball. I also like it because I know I am better at
soccer than any other sport I've played. I've played soccer since I was a kid; I think I got addicted to it and
to winning.
Soccer will always be my favorite sport and my favorite
activity to do on my own time. I still
like to play other sports once in a while.
I think if people that talk bad about soccer would either play it or
watch it on TV would end up liking the sport.
For example my high school soccer team was made up of nothing but
Hispanic players. One day in physical
education we got one of my friends to play soccer. He would be one of the people that would
always say soccer was a boring sport. He
was your typical farmer type of guy. We
got him into playing soccer so much that he actually tried out for the soccer
team our senior year. That is just one
example that people that have never played soccer don’t know what they are
talking about when they say soccer is boring.
I know that if they actually tried to play soccer they would end up
liking the sport.
I don't think so many people "hate" soccer or think "soccer is for pussies" in the United States as much as they're completely indifferent to it. Due to the amount of international acclaim the prevalent attitude of "Us and Them" seems to take over and we tune it out for the most part. Much the same argument could be made for American football in the rest of the world. As much as there are leagues in other countries, it's not nearly as popular as it is here in the States. I for one have watched soccer live and on TV and though I'm not a diehard like some friends of mine (I have a coworker that practically bleeds Chelsea) I agree that it's exciting, challenging, and highly competitive. My favorite part about soccer is that we don't have state teams we have the US soccer team. Rather amusing that the sport we seem to be the most unified on is the one we're the most indifferent about, no?
ReplyDelete