Monday, October 15, 2012

sheila, essay #2

Sheila Melara
Professor Rogers
English 1A
7 October 2012


Unconditional Love
    What is it that makes movies so inspiring? Whether their genre is a romantic, action, science fiction, comedy or horror, they have something in common and that is that they include Love in some sort of successful way. Our society has become so critical when it comes to analyzing and depicting if a particular movie can have the ability to change their way of thinking. This is only if they are inspired by its message. Much of what influences most can be derived from morals in which one could relate to. Just last night I went to watch Taken 2, a powerful and inspiring movie in which includes both the strength of love and revenge.
    This movie recently premiered and based on the several reviews I read online, this movie has not only inspired me, but also many out there have been conversing about how good the movie was. This movie takes place in Los Angeles where the main character, Bryan Mills finds himself devoted to what he's done best all of his life: protect. After his daughter was kidnapped by men from the middle east, he has no choice but to keep protecting her as best as he can and throughout the movie he shows how he has his mind set only in his family's safeness. One of the things that this movie does well is getting its message across. Like many other movies that include both love and revenge, this one intrigues the viewers by first showing how much love there is between a father and a daughter. In my opinion, it successfully showed how parents view the need to protect their child no matter their age. The protection that is portrayed is from a whole other level where it's more about life or death. Because his family is found to be troubled, kidnapped by the same group of men who seek revenge on him, he is ready to do anything in order to get them back. This we can relate when it comes to family, but the way that this movie represents how far the love of a father can go, is inspiring.
    Apart from getting its message across, this movie is strong in the fact that it shows the main character's two sides: his sweet and dark side. Its contrast determines how as human beings we have the ability to convey these two sides. We love our family more than anything and in most cases, people are determined to do even the impossible when it comes to defending or giving them the best from us. Here it clearly shows the pain he goes through when these revengeful men threaten to kill his wife, hurting her with no pity in their eyes in front of him. As he watches them slightly cut the side of her throat, his eyes speak pain. Even captured, and with no ability to prevent this, he still has that hopeful side to him that lets us viewers know that he wont give up there. Not just yet. Ever since I can remember I've had both my parent's support in almost everything. My dad is the most influential person I know, and I am sure that he would do anything in his power to protect me from anything harmful and as cheesy as this sounds, I consider him my hero. I went to watch this amazing movie with my old man and the fact that we watched it together was even more special. I loved that we both agreed that this movie went over the top, by making the father figure more like a hero.
    As we were driving home after watching this inspiring movie, my old man and I were discussing how this movie can relate to both of us. Ever since I can remember, he has always told me how much he would give up for me and that is everything. Like in the movie, my father has always been there for me no matter the circumstances. When I was twelve years old, I attended a church children event where I spent three whole days without my parents. Of course I planned to have lots of fun with the rest of the children but I can sincerely say I missed my old man. Those two nights he called me every night to see if I was okay, and I still remember his tone of voice. It reassured me and I knew I could always call him up no matter where I was I could count on him. This experience at that certain age made me realize how much my parents meant for me. At the time, nothing and no one else mattered as much as they did.
    Taken 2 is a great movie. It includes almost all the types of movie genres there are. It's one of the best father-daughter movies that is out there because it brings family closer together. In my opinion it shows how in certain life or death circumstances cause parents to go over the top, do almost the impossible to make sure their kid's life is secure. Unconditional love exists and sometimes it is a matter of time until an individual can see it. My father is my best old man since I was little up until now I consider him MY hero because of what he's gone through in giving me a good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment