Haylee Fonseca
Rogers
English 1A
Due: October 16th,
2012
Playing
with Barbies
I have a joke: a brunette, a red head, and a blonde are
stuck on a deserted island and they find a magic lamp. A genie appears and
tells them they each get a wish. The brunette says, “I wish I were home,” and
they genie sent her home. The red head says the same thing and the genie sends
her home. The blonde was upset that her friends were gone and said, “I wish my
friends were back.” Blondes have been portrayed as ditzy, easy, and full
figured but not every blonde is the Barbie doll type.
Toy barbies are blonde, beautiful, and dumb. Since the
late 50’s, Barbie’s have made a statement about their perfect wellbeing. When I
was growing up, all of my friends had barbies and we compared ourselves to her.
She was skinny, tall, beautiful, and always happy. I never realized the effect
of my perfect toy had on us. We always strived to look and act a certain way
just like her. I was the only blonde out of my group so of course I was judge
the most. I was short, athletic, and smart. My family always made fun of me
with the “Math is Hard” Barbie and it stuck. I will always be compared to her.
Throughout history blondes have been categorized as a
Barbie and have had to overcome it. We have been put into a situation where we
have to defeat the stereotype of a classic blonde everyday of our life. I have
been talked down to by teachers because I am a natural blonde. They have talked
to me like a deaf five year old while trying to answer a question during class
and have questioned my ability to get a right answer or have the best grade in
my class. Through that situation, I had to teach my teacher how I got the right
answer on every test I took. By the end of that school year, she turned and
looked at me and said, “Wow, you are actually smart.” I smiled and said
sarcastically, “Thank you,” with a huge f*** you written a crossed my face. I
knew that day I had to make a difference just like other historic blonde women.
Throughout history there have been amazing blonde women.
There have been women such as Barbara Walters, Princess Diana, Barbara
Streisand, and my favorite Betty White. Betty White inspires people by making
them laugh and enjoy themselves but has stared in multiple productions,
produced multiple series, and helped in multiple animal welfare charities.
These women have proved that no matter what color your hair is, you can
accomplish great things.
I choose to pursue a career in educating students in
Agriculture Mechanics. I knew it was going to be a tough career to get my foot
into because I am a woman and blonde but I am pushing through it. Through
college guys have looked at me in welding class like that’s awesome that a girl
can do this stuff too or I should not have even stepped foot into the shop. Last
semester a boy had the nerve to look me in the eye and tell me, “A women should
never be allowed to pick up a power tool and asked if blondes even know where
to turn it on at.” Yes, he is still alive and single. I just take the criticism
as encouragement to prove myself against what everyone says even though it used
to break me down and question my abilities.
To enhance blonde women futures we all need to prove
ourselves. We need to do something so we are not tolerated as bubble headed
girls. We need to show that we are smart, caring, and have a good head on our
shoulders. An easy way to show your true spark is raising your hand in class
and answer a question that the professor asks with courage and confidence.
Confidence is key because even if you are wrong you have put yourself out there
and are wrong, people will still respect you. Always keep your head held high
and your priorities in order. Even though we were taught at a young age to look
up to Barbie, just remember there is only one Barbie and she is perfect because
she is plastic. Always be yourself and make yourself happy, no matter what.
No comments:
Post a Comment