Monday, October 15, 2012

Essay 2


What is Fun?
Bowling and playing in the arcade at the Memorial Union (MU) in Davis is the most fun and enjoyable. There are many factors that contribute to this idea, like, the location, atmosphere, entertainment, and price. Playing in the MU is more fun when being accompanied by a group of people, like, friends or family. I see bowling as a thing to do when I want to come home late at night on a Friday or Saturday.
The MU is located in UC Davis which is close to Woodland. This makes it easy for friends and family because we do not have to go anywhere far to have a fun night. The surrounding area has a parking garage making it simple and quick to find a parking spot. Apart from the effortless parking search it is also surrounded by a great community where it is safe to be at night whether it is walking or riding a bicycle. You could spot many bicyclists enjoying a ride around the university late at night and also people taking walks and talking while enjoying the fresh air. If you chose to go bowling while the sun is still out, then taking a walk afterward, around the university's gardens, pond, and pathways will complete your pleasant day.
The atmosphere inside the MU is wonderful. I remember the first time I opened the doors to the bowling area and arcade I asked myself where it was because all I saw were stairs going down. I began to go down the stairs and when I was half way down I saw an immense amount of flashing colorful lights. That was when I discovered the bowling alley that everyone would talk about was in the basement of the Memorial Union. The sight made me want to go directly to the arcade, exchange money for tokens, and begin playing. The music being played inside the MU is awesome and always meets my expectations. We could sing along to songs or simply play a car racing game while listening to the perfect song in the background. The lights everywhere, the music, and the crowd of people that are there for the same reason (to have fun) make the hours fly since you are not keeping track of time only keeping track of what game is next.
After going directly to the game area and playing most games we decide to end the night with a bowling game. It is the best way to end the day since you get to cheer for friends or “boo!” at them and even watch them fall when they go passed the black line marked on the lane. Bowling lanes in the MU are usually full on weekend nights and have a wait-list but people do not care they decide to wait in the arcade area while a lane opens. After a certain time the lights in the bowling area are turned off and the night led lights are revealed to add a sense of excitement to the games. Entertainment is offered in every area of the MU ranging from racing games, dancing revolution, zombie games, billiard, bowling, and these all stand out with their blue, green, pink, red, yellow, and many more bright flashing lights. One of the best things about bowling is that you do not need to know how to play it perfectly and anyone could play, including children.
The second time my boyfriend and I went bowling with friends and some of my cousins was the most fun. It was a large group therefore there was more talking going on, cheering, laughing and saying “awe” when someone got a bad score. That day my boyfriend felt like he was the boss because he was first place and no one was able to go above his score. The second to last round he went up for his turn and said “watch this” as he walked toward the brightened lane. He then took a wrong step and went too far passed the black line, all I remember seeing was him falling with one foot up and the bowling ball roaming off the side. Everyone saw and burst out laughing because of course it was hard and impossible not to laugh. I being the girlfriend decided to make it seem like it was okay and not laugh but even he began to giggle making fun of himself. It was the funniest scene ever and until this day I remember it. I still make fun of him once in a while and cause him to get red when I tell him I picture it in slow motion and it is hilarious. The group of people that went with us will also bring it up once in a while in our gatherings.
These types of memories could be experienced in this fun place with friends or family. Every time I go inside the MU I hear people laughing, hear the bowling balls being thrown, the music playing, the game sound effects, and see them smiling confirming that they are having a good time. I have never experienced a day in there where people are quiet, sad, or not laughing; that would just be weird and out of the typical.
There's a bowling alley in Woodland but the experience is not the same. There is less people, the arcade is significantly smaller, and there are familiar people in there all the time that sometimes you do not want to encounter or deal with. In Sacramento there is also a numerous amount of bowling alleys and arcades but they are farther in range, and games are more expensive as well as the gas price you would have to pay compared to Davis. I once went to a bowling alley in Sacramento but I did not like it because the environment was not apt for children due to smoking and drinking going on and the MU's in Davis is safe and children are welcomed just like teens and adults.
Bowling and playing in the MU's arcade is fun and a good place to go to with family or friends when your expectations are to save money, go somewhere close and safe, and make good memories.





No comments:

Post a Comment